Attempts in DIY

29 Jun

Thank you Pinterest for an idea! Last year Ali showed me some art by a girl in Des Moines who painted song lyrics on canvas in a really cool way. I’ve been intrigued by the idea ever since. Lately I’ve wanted to revamp a few things about my living room. I replaced some older iron lamps with adorable yellow ones (Target!) and bought a new chair. I’ve been holding onto a leather chair for my brother since March. It was my great uncle’s, then my grandma’s, and now I am holding onto it. It’s a really nice chair – just too masculine to go with the rest of the stuff in my apartment. I’ve been happy to hold onto it for my brother, but I’m excited to be able to replace it with something else. For the past year or so there has been something about a damask pattern in teal that has caught my eye. Random, right? So when I saw a chair with the same pattern on it, I decided to go for it. This was my first experience ordering something on, and it was a  really good experience. The price was reasonable, free shipping, and it was super easy to put together.

Even Lucy likes it!

When I moved to St. Paul, my mom and I spent a couple days painting and decorating my place. When it came time to hang something over my couch, we were too tired and tapped out money-wise to go out and buy something. I have some masks from my trip to Guatemala which we decided to hang. It didn’t look bad. It just wasn’t 100% what I wanted.

This is the “before”

Recently, I saw a posting on Pinterest about a DIY project involving canvas and painting phrases on them. I immediately thought back to the art Ali showed me last year. It’s not completely like that artwork, but it still caught my eye. I decided on 5 canvases since there is quite a bit of space for me to cover. One of the hardest things was to decide on which lyrics I wanted to use. Once I had them narrowed down I headed to the craft store to get my supplies. What I bought included:

  • 5 canvases of varying sizes
  • vinyl letters (I needed about 4 packs due to all the letters I needed)
  • paint
  • brushes
  • Mod Podge
  • hot glue gun (where did mine go?) and extra glue sticks

What I already had included

  • Old magazines
  • An old book (I didn’t want to re-read)
  • Old sheet music

The first step was to decide what I wanted as a base underneath my letters. I choose sheet music for a couple canvases. I just ripped out songs from one of my musical theatre songbooks (that I knew I would never need.) I used the hot glue gun to attach the music to the canvas.

I then arranged my vinyl letters and painted a solid coat of paint over the whole thing. Don’t mind my copy of True Blood in the background. I needed something to watch while doing this, okay 🙂

For my other canvas bases, I used pages from an old book, magazine clippings, and just simply painted the canvas yellow on one.

Once it was all painted I removed the vinyl letters.

After it was dried, I added a coat of ModPodge which gives it a finished sheen.


Finally, once everything was all done and dried, I hung them on my walls. Here is the finished product. It’s definitely homemade looking, texturized, a little “shabby chic”, but I like how it fills up my wall. I’m able to display some of my favorite lyrics (narrowing down was hard work!) and it was all on the cheap!

Ali is coming tomorrow for her aunt’s bachelorette party! I’m so freakin excited to see her!


2 Responses to “Attempts in DIY”

  1. lynabelles June 29, 2012 at 3:53 AM #

    i like it! pinterest is just a minefield! highly addictive 🙂 thanks for sharing this

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: